Saturday, January 12, 2008

No to Moving On

I just read a post on thinkers room on the same topic and I have linked to it. I could not have said it better myself. There is this very seductive mindframe that is going around that is so seductive. We hate to see people suffer around us and we dont want to think of people going hungry and people loosing everything they have invested their lives building.

While, I wholeheartedly agree, and I hate this suffering, I believe, there is time to say stop. Enough. It is like telling a thoroughly battered wife to hang on for the sake of her children. There is a time to say no more.

I strongly suggest that you read this post. Here are some excerpts. I dont want to post everything, because i believe you need to also visit thinkersroom.

“Moving on” is precisely what got us into the situation we are in today. For 44 years we have been moving on, paying scant attention to the underlying problems that have befallen us, in the fond belief that “we are a peaceful people” and “Kenya is an island of peace and stability”. We moved on in the face of disparities of education, opportunities, wealth, camaraderie and class........

Moving on will only ensure that come 2012 we will be writing blog posts and newspaper articles precisely like the ones we have been doing the past fortnight. Moving on will just give another set of us the opportunity to be “shocked and saddened” that this happened on our land. Moving on will just ensure that our children (if we survive to sire them) will merrily and ignorantly make the same mistakes we did.
......

So there you have it.

And as the writer, beautifully states, refusing to move on is not saying get out on the street and kill each other.

No comments: